A Merchant is a sophont who engages in mercantile, trading ventures with a goal of making a profit.
- The best known and most prestigious merchants are interstellar ones such as Free Traders.
- Interstellar Trade at lower scales is speculative and risky. Large scale trade is much more stable, but very expensive.
- It is a vocation.
While TL-0 societies are composed of protosophonts with very little concept of trade or barter, TL:1-3 societies have mastered many intergroup trade practices before the end of the technological epoch, which generally takes thousands to hundreds of thousands of years.
- The Traveller's Handbook
- Steve Daniels, Jim McLean, Christopher Thrash. Far Trader (Steve Jackson Games, 1999), TBD.
- T5 Core Rules
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science