|Primary||F3 V M2 V|
|Army size (BEs)||20|
|World Trade Number||3.5|
|Trade Volume (MCr/year)||150|
|Building Capacity (Tons)||2,000|
|Port passengers (annual)||7,500|
Esalin is a nonindustrial, rich, agricultural world with improving living conditions due to a bustling agro-economy.
- As an agricultural world, this world is a near-ideal environment for producing quality foodstuffs of plant, animal, and other forms. Quality foodstuffs are a major export commodity for this world.
- It requires extensive imports of outside technology to maintain a modern, star-faring society. Having to import most manufactured and high tech goods drives the price up for these items at this world.
- Its economy is bustling and an increase in living conditions is expected in the near future. This world is designated an Amber Zone with an environment, laws, customs, life forms, or other conditions make it dangerous to visitors. It is a Human dominated Non-Aligned world in the Jewell Subsector of Spinward Marches Sector.
|Army size (BEs)||1500|
|World Trade Number||5|
|Trade Volume (MCr/year)||36,423|
|Building Capacity (Tons)||220,000|
|Port passengers (annual)||774,100|
Era: New Era
Esalin It is a client state of Regency of Deneb in the Jewell Subsector of Spinward Marches Sector. This world is an Interface world, with a quarantine inspection facility for all ships. This world contains a Scout Base, capable of handling Scout Service starships and personnel.
No information yet available.
Binary Solar System
Esalin Binary Star System Star Name Hierarchy Color Classification Notes Esalin Primary Primary Yellow-White F3 V Esalin Companion Secondary Red M2 V
1004 Esalin (Imperial)
Starport: Class III.
Diameter: 4,723 miles (7,600 km).
Atmosphere: Standard oxygen-nitrogen.
Population: 2,000,000 (800,000 Zhodani).
Government: Charismatic dictatorship.
Control Level: 1.
Tech Level: 8.
World Trade Number: 3.5.
History & Background (Dossier)
The mainworld was originally settled by Imperial colonists in 835, but fell to Zhodani advances during the opening weeks of the Fourth Frontier War (1082-1084). When the armistice for the war was signed, it was agreed to allow joint Imperial-Zhodani administration of the world, and it was officially declared neutral in 1098.
Non-Canon: The government is balkanised, but there is a strong Union of Nations (EICON - Esalin International Council of Nations) with both a Zhodani and Imperial Adviser. The current President of EICON is Celta Frodis. Nations tend to align along either Zhodani or Imperial lines, with about 20% remaining neutral or so divided as to be effectively so. There are, in fact, two down-world starports: one, Denkeny Downport, run mainly by the Government of Ecaimar serves mostly Imperial shipping and the other, Valstivoock, run predominantly by the Government of Irasus serves mostly Zhodani shipping. Both ports are routine quality installations (Class C.)
While both ports must serve both the Imperial and Zhodani governments, and the ports are technically under the jurisdiction of EICON, the ports themselves are located an the territories of their respective governments, staffed by the peoples of the respective governments and security is provided by the respective governments except for a small corps answering to the EICON administration. These two governments are by far the largest on the planet both economically and militarily, with a combined GDP of over 70% of the planet's Gross Product and about 55% of the planet's population.
Ecaimar is government type 4 and Irasus is government type 3. Representation in EICON accords each government a number of votes based on population and GDP and at present there is no clear pro-Imperial or pro-Zhodani majority. A handfull of the smaller nations have become adept at trading favors from the two major powers in exchange for voting a particular way on given issues.
An earlier, little known, incident occurred on Esalin in 1106 (just prior to the fifth frontier war) a number of Guerilla Groups staged militant uprisings and attempted to form a one-world government based on a strong pro-Imperial (and anti-Zhodani) platform. The uprisings were quashed by the planet's military forces but there was considerable pressure on the then Imperial Sector Admiral Fenek Jennhoy to support the rebels and stage an invasion. Admiral Jennhoy refused to risk starting a war with the Zhodani and a number of high ranking Naval Officials were later dismissed over their involvement with the incident. There is suspicion that the later assassination of Admiral Jennhoy on Efate was a direct result of his refusal to support an invasion of Esalin, either by members of the Esalin Guerilla groups or even disgruntled members of Navy Intelligence.
History-Era: Milieu 1116
The site of much fighting during the Fifth Frontier War, Esalin was re-conquered by the Imperials and the Zhodani government expelled (a substantial Zhodani citizenry remains). The system is now an Imperial Client State.
History-Era: New Era
Although now clearly Imperial territory, its previous status as a neutral meeting ground for Consulate-Imperial negotiations was too useful to abandon. Esain was maintained in a demilitarized status and its Zhodani citizens were not treated as conquered subjects but, in an experiment that would eventually pay handsome dividends for the Regency, were allowed to retain their lifestyles within “Zhodani Cultural Enclaves.”
- With the unanticipated warming of Zhodani-Domain relations during the pre-Collapse period, Esalin became an increasingly important conduit for communications between the neighboring powers until Norris formally moved these proceedings to Regina (Spinward Marches 1910).
References & Contributors (Sources)
- Classic Traveller The Spinward Marches Campaign in Articles: "The Fifth Frontier War" and "The Spinward Marches"
- Classic Traveller The Traveller Adventure in Article: "The Spinward Marches"
- Periodical: MegaTraveller Travellers' Digest No. 18 in Article: "A Concise History of the Third Imperium"
- Challenge 41 in Article: "TNS"
- Challenge 42 in Article: "TNS"
- Challenge 58 in Article: "TNS"
- TNE Survival Margin in Article: "Traveller News Service"
- Dave Nilsen. The Regency Sourcebook (Game Designers Workshop, 1995), 37.
- Martin Dougherty, Neil Frier. Behind the Claw (Steve Jackson Games, 1998), 57.
- Mongoose Traveller: Spinward Marches
- External Link: AB's Traveller Pages Andrew Brown
- External Link: BARD OPAL 9534 – Peter Gray