Drakkon class System Defense Boat
|Drakkon class System Defense Boat|
Distant Fringe vessel.
|Type: SB System Defense Boat|
|Also see||System Defense Boat|
|Canon||No. Unpublished, non-canon fan design.|
|Cost|| MCr568.234 (base) |
|Passengers||0 High/Med 0 Low|
|Starships are designed with the Classic Traveller format, using High Guard.|
The Drakkon class System Defense Boat is a defensive warship.
- It is a paramilitary ship and a System Defense Boat.
- Please also see AAB article: Ships of the Distant Fringe.
- Please also see AAB article: Warships of the Distant Fringe.
The System Defense Boat (...usually abbreviated to SDB) is designed to defend key points within a system such as gas giants. It is a common paramilitary vessel within the Distant Fringe. Similar designs have been in use from the time the Distant Fringe was first settled.
- The vessel is a TL-11 design.
Basic Ship Characteristics
Following the Imperial Navy and IISS Universal Ship Profile and data, additional information is presented in the format shown here. The small craft factor indicates the number of squadrons (...of ten subcraft) carried on the ship. Tonnage on the universal ship profile is shown in kilotons (...thousands of tons) where necessary. 
|Basic Ship Characteristics |
|1.||Tonnage|| The SDB is constructed using a 400 dTon hull built in a generally wedge-shaped configuration. The hull is fully streamlined, plated, and structurally reinforced, with an armor rating of 8: the ship is equipped with fuel scoops.
|2.||Crew||TBD. The SDB requires 16 crew: 5x command, 2x engineering, 7x gunnery, and 2x service. The vessel carries 6 troops.|
|3.||Performance|| TBD. The vessel mounts a maneuver-6 drive and a power plant 8, giving performance of 6G acceleration. The ship has an agility rating of 6. There is fuel tankage of 32 dTons, giving the power plant four weeks duration. The craft is fitted with a fuel purification plant.
|4.||Electronics|| TBD. Adjacent to the bridge is a computer model/4: the vessel carries an additional backup computer model/4. There are 13 staterooms. Double occupancy accommodations are required for all except the command crew. Cargo capacity amounts to 5 dTons.
|6.||Armament|| TBD. The ship is fitted with 4 turrets. These are grouped into:
|10.||Cost|| MCrTBD. The basic cost of the vessel is MCr568.234.
|11.||Construction Time||TBD months.|
Formations of SDBs are often deployed by vessels such as the Military Ship Transporter.
A design that dates to the time of the Terran Confederation. The design is representative and a large number of variants exist, particularly with regard to the allotted weapons systems, onboard electronics, and the fit out of internal spaces.
Distant Fringe Vessels
The Distant Fringe is said to be a far spinward-rimward area inhabited by colonists and refugees originating on Terra. The region is extremely isolated, separated from the rest of Charted Space by vast, almost uncrossable rifts that were once broached by a system of calibration Points and the use of tankers. Those few academics within Charted Space who have found references to the Distant Fringe regard it as little more than a tall tale. Likewise, many of the inhabitants of the Distant Fringe believe the existence of Charted Space to be mythical.
Vessels originating within the Distant Fringe are very rarely encountered outside of the region. However, misjumps do occur and anomalies with bizarre spacetime and Jumpspace effects exist: as such, craft of this type are not entirely unknown within Charted Space.
Class Naming Practice/s & Peculiarities
Each vessel within the class is named by the government of the state that produces it. They generally draw on traditional naming protocols and it is not uncommon for a historical class name to be reused.
- Individual vessels within the class are issued specific serial numbers and transponder codes.
- Naming a ship is considered a serious affair and is generally accompanied by a traditional ceremony, usually pouring a local beverage over the bows of the craft. Starfarers tend to be superstitious folk and a ship with a frivolous name is considered "unlucky".
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Type SB class System Defense Boat
- Drakkon class System Defense Boat
|This article has Metadata|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Marc Miller, Frank Chadwick, John Harshman. High Guard (Game Designers Workshop, 1980), 20-37. (Design Sequence Used)
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis), Captain, and Lead Naval Architect Ronald B. Kline, Jr. of the Imperial Navy
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science