District 268 Subsector/meta
World Discussion (2007)
- Rancke 10:15, 23 August 2007 (UTC)
Does Safari Ship expressly state that its figures superscede the data presented in Spinward Marches or is that merely an assumption? Unfortunately, the revised planetary population of just 1.6 Billion is not in accord with the statements concerning overpopulation that are key to the existing Forine (world) and Elixabeth (world) write-ups.
- --Vendarth 12:21, 23 August 2007 (UTC)
- The population data in The Spinward Marches claimed that District 268 had 2.456 billion inhabitants. This is not possible if Forine has a population of 5.9 billion. It's not even possible if Forine has a population of 1.6 billion. The 2.456 figure was presumably arrived at by counting all populations as having population multipliers of 1. The information from Safari Ship is based on the canonical population multipliers.
- Note that the Forine and Elixabeth writeups are based on the same source that reduced the population of Forine to 1.6 billion. We can keep one or the other, but not both. Since we have to toss one, why keep the one that is less plausible[*] and creates huge problems (namely, explaining where all that food comes from)? Especially since the description doesn't really work even if all 6 billion people live on the surface of Forine.
- [*]Less plausible? Well, that's just my opinion, of course.
- Rancke 14:17, 24 August 2007 (UTC)
The dependent relationship between the Forine and Elixabeth writeups relates to overpopulation in the former, not to the "food problem". If, as Rancke has written, Forine's SYSTEM-WIDE population is assumed to be 5.9 Billion, then the overpopulation issue is still valid.
- --Vendarth 15:19, 24 August 2007 (UTC)
World Discussion (2012)
I know this is an older discussion(or skirmish,apparently),but if we can bandy opinions about...One might consider that some(slightly pompus)imperial data entry clerk decided to(or was ordered to)count only imperial and client state populations in the "official" census estimate of ? 2.456 billion(with the rather unsavory activities of the Forinean goverment-as per the Elixibeth writeup-this might be a form of censure on the Imperium's part).This might sound like an old referee's simple solution,but hey,its everybody's game...in my opinion.