Demon's Eye Subsector
|Demon's Eye Subsector|
|No. of Stars||17|
|Majority Control||Rimward Federation (RiFe) - 47%|
|2nd Control||Non-aligned Human-dominated - 47%|
|3rd Control||Non-aligned Unclaimed - 6%|
- 1 Description / Specifications
- 2 Physical Astrography
- 3 Political Astrography
- 4 History & Background
- 5 References & Contributors / Sources
Description / Specifications
Demon's Eye Subsector lies within Far Home Sector and is named for the Demon's Eye system and its massive white supergiant star. The coreward and trailing regions of the subsector contains the Demon's Eye Rift, while its rimward regions are dominated by the Pel Avena Cluster and dotted with scattered systems. A single Star Lane crosses the coreward edge of the Subsector. Dal Hallen, the capital of the Rimward Federation, is also considered to be the capital of the Subsector.
Clusters & Traces
Rifts & Voids
Other Astrographic Features
- Demon's Eye Nebula
- The Cauldron Nebula, lying within Cauldron Sector, some 94 parsecs to coreward-trailing, can be seen as a star-studded luminous region in night-time skies from all of the worlds of the Subsector.
- Basilisk's Eye (1723 Tarchon Sector). The extremely luminous white supergiant star, lying around 137 parsecs to coreward-trailing, can be clearly seen from all of the worlds of the Subsector.
- Demon's Eye (1621 Far Home Sector). The intensely luminous blue supergiant star, dominating the coreward-trailing edge of the region, can be clearly seen from all of the worlds of the Subsector even in daylight.
A single Star Lane crosses through the coreward edge of the Subsector:
Population: 11.173 billion Sophonts.
- Humaniti (Human races)
- Other Non-Human Races:
- Hoppers: an estimated 431 million "Distant" Hoppers (3.86% of the population) typically within human settlements. Most have never visited Fedan, their ancestral homeworld, and many have developed unique customs and habits.
- Acara: 60 million (0.54% of the population), almost entirely restricted to Carasan, their homeworld.
- Meroquan: approximately 50,000. A sophont species of Halcyon Sector, found throughout human-controlled space.
- Temelik: approximately 45,000, found throughout human-controlled space.
The following languages are the most commonly spoken within Demon's Eye subsector:
- Anglish The language of the Firstworlds. A direct descendant of Fleet Anglic, widely spoken throughout the Distant Fringe. Most people know a few words and phrases of Anglish.
- Meranto. The language of the Rimward Federation, closely related to Fleet Anglic. It is not widely spoken outside of the Pel Avena cluster – many native Meranto speakers can also speak Anglish.
- Padori. A direct descendant of Fleet Anglic, widely spoken within the Pador-Aredian cluster and common throughout rimward half of Far Home Sector.
No information yet available.
Demon's Eye, subsector J of Far Home has 17 worlds, of which 11 have native gas giants. The estimated population for the subsector is 11 billion sophonts (not necessarily humans). There are two High population (Hi) worlds, one Moderate population (Ph) world, nine Non-industrial (Ni) worlds, three Low population (Lo) worlds, and one Barren (Ba) world. There are three Agricultural (Ag) worlds versus one Pre-Agricultural (Pa) world, and no Non-Agricultural (Na) worlds. There are two Rich (Ri) worlds versus one Industrial (In) world. There are two Asteroid (As) belts, no Desert (De) worlds, one Garden (Ga) world, one Ice-capped (Ic) world, three Poor (Po) worlds, four Vacuum (Va) worlds, and one Water (Wa) or Ocean (Oc) world. There are no Naval bases in the subsector, no Scout bases, and no Way stations. The highest population world is Merant (Far Home 1427). The highest tech level is A at Dal Hallen (Far Home 1428) and Nassin (Far Home 1627). The average technology level is 6 (with most between 3 and 8).
The Non-Aligned Human-dominated worlds in Demon's Eye encompasses eight worlds with a population of 100 million. The highest population world is Carasan (Far Home 1126). The highest tech level is 9 at Bathur (Far Home 0928). The average technology level is 6 (with most between 4 and 7).
The Rimward Federation in Demon's Eye has jurisdiction over eight worlds with a population of 11 billion. The highest population world is Merant (Far Home 1427). The highest tech level is A at Dal Hallen (Far Home 1428) and Nassin (Far Home 1627). The average technology level is 7 (with most between 4 and 9).
There is one unclaimed or unexplored system in Demon's Eye.
History & Background
Demon's Eye Subsector saw almost no activity by humans prior to the establishment of the Third Confederation, and what little development there was abruptly ended with the onset of the Dark Age, nearly two thousand years ago. Following the Renaissance period survivor worlds were recontacted, scavengers picked over the few remains that there were, and hardy pioneers looked to the empty systems and the opportunities they presented. Almost all expansion and growth within the region is relatively modern, beginning during the so-called Golden Age and continuing with the nebulous Development Organizations and the rise of polities.
- A strong social divide exists between wealthy and aristocratic Fives, descended from the original settlers and crew of the Last Armada, and Gens, individuals whose ancestors were grown in GenPods and raised by Hoppers.
Major Historical Events Timeline
Some of the more important historical events that have affected this area include:
- 2255AD: The Last Armada arrives in the Demon Cluster.
- 2500AD: The monolithic and anti-expansionist Second Confederation is founded. Settlement within the Demon Cluster is restricted to its coreward regions: the Demon's Eye Subsector remains largely unexplored and unpopulated.
- ca 3200: very limited exploration within the rimward regions of the Demon Cluster.
- ca 3500AD: Sporadic but gradual settlement throughout the Subsector.
- 3730AD: Voyagers arrive and devastate the Subsector. The Dark Age begins.
- 4549AD: Unusual activity in the primary star of the Demon's Eye system. The Voyagers depart and the Dark Age ends. The Renaissance sees the first steps back into space.
- 4830AD: Tal Varisan Development begins sporadic commercial exploration of the Subsector.
- ca 4900AD: Golden Age. Space travel becomes relatively commonplace.
- ca 4900AD: Rimward Opportunities begins commercial exploration of the rimward regions of the Sector.
- 4933AD: Formation of Rimward Opportunities Development Organization.
- 5184AD: "Hollow Opportunities", following the secession of the Pel Avena Cluster from Rimward Opportunities.
- 5350AD: Rimward Opportunities ceases to exist as an entity.
- 5600AD: Data for Demon's Eye Subsector is published in the DSP Listing.
References & Contributors / Sources
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science