Demon's Eye Nebula
The Demon's Eye Nebula is a relatively compact group of luminescing gases and dark clouds centered in hex 1621 of Far Home Sector. It measures around 4.5 parsecs coreward-rimward by 4 parsecs spinward-trailing. The Demon's Eye system lies at its core.
It is classified as an emission nebula and is primarily formed of ionized gases, thrown off by the supergiant primary star of the Demon's Eye system many millennia ago.
- The gases consist of about 90% hydrogen, with the remainder made up of helium, oxygen, nitrogen, and other elements. The clouds have a mean density of 102–106 particles/cm³.
- The gases primarily emit red light, though other colors can be seen: the source of ionization is high-energy photons emitted from the Demon's Eye supergiant star.
Trinary Solar System
Demon's Eye Trinary Star System Star Name Hierarchy Color Classification Remarks Demon's Eye Primary Primary White A3 Ib None Demon's Eye Companion Secondary Yellow-White F3 V 2500 AU distant from primary Demon's Eye Far Companion Tertiary Red M7 V Orbits secondary at 0.7 AU
To the naked eye, the Demon's Eye Nebula appears as a glowing reddish-white haze in the sky with the intensely luminous Demon's Eye supergiant star at its center: the star is clearly visible, even in daytime skies. Optical instruments can pick out individual regions of denser gas and dust, swirling trails and streamers of material, clouds and billows, towering columns and cavernous hollows, and many other gigantic structures and formations. The region of gas immediately around the central stars emanates red light, though its soft glow is drowned by the extreme brightness of the star.
Why the Terrans, seeking to hide from their Vilani pursuers, should choose to settle a region with such a bright beacon at its center is something of a mystery. Some hold that it proves that the Last Armada was at the very limit of its endurance and was forced to halt, while others contend that the location was deliberately chosen in order to give any potential stragglers from the Cripple Fleet somewhere to aim towards.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
World Listing: 1105
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: WHULorigan
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science