|Cronin/Kerr (Massilia 0502)|
|Classic Era (1115)|| |
|New Era (1200)|| |
|Primary||K6 V M2 V|
Cronin is a poor, nonindustrial world.
- As a nonindustrial world, it requires extensive imports of outside technology to maintain a modern, star-faring society. The need to import most manufactured and high technology goods drives the price of these goods up in the open market.
- This world has few prospects for economic development.
- This is a hot world, with a climate of high temperatures.
- It is a member of the Third Imperium in the Kerr Subsector of Massilia Sector in the Domain of Sylea.
- This world has a nearby Imperial Naval Base, capable of handling warships.
- During the Long Night this world was named Iirkhaen.
Description (Astrography & Planetology)
Cronin is a hot, and dry, world with poor soils, and most of the locals efforts have concentrated on growing enough food for their survival.
Binary Solar System
Cronin Binary Star System Star Name Hierarchy Color Classification Remarks Cronin Primary Primary Orange K6 V Cronin Companion Secondary Red M2 V
History & Background (Dossier)
Cronin attracted little attention from the colonists and corporations of three imperiums. The lack of potable water, the locked interior position of Massilia, and scarce resources discouraged development. The sole party interested was the Navy of the Third Imperium, which made the world a naval reserve in 952.
Imperial High (Landed) Nobility
In 1127 several TankRons serving with Lucan's forces deserted from what remained of the Dagudashaag sector fleet, and fled to Cronin, hoping to take advantage of the large stockpiles of supplies stored here. In 1129 their dependents were evacuated from their worlds and brought here, including a large number from nearby Ralton (Massilia 0303).
- Most of the tankers were grounded, and converted into housing for the population. A few smaller ships were saved and used to defend the world against Virus and Vampire Fleets; most of these were destroyed, and a break down in local technology and the drawing down of local supply stockpiles eventually caused the locals to withdraw permanently to the surface. The starport is the main settlement, and few buildings exist beyond the grounded ships and the old naval storage facilities. Many of these facilities are off limits, being used by the local military command or jointly with the Hub Worlds Navy. The rest of the world is mostly howling desert and saltwater lakes laced with heavy metals and poisonous alkaline levels.
- Imperial Naval regulations are the main law and order on the world, with shore police enforcing them to the letter. Local life is severely regimented, with every adult over the age of 18 receiving military training and a billet. People of talent and ability are made officers, with everyone else considered enlisted personnel. All people are expected to obey their superior officers at all times, and severe punitive regulations exist for just about every aspect of life. In return there is free medical care, compulsory education, plentiful jobs and subsidized housing. A large percentage of the population either serves directly in the Hub Worlds military or as reservists.