From Traveller Wiki - Science-Fiction Adventure in the Far future
- As the name might imply, Corsair Bases are starship operations facilities that support Vargr corsair or interstellar pirate fleets.
There is no one standard layout for a Corsair Base.
- Some are very barebones facilities, little better than a frontier Class E Starport while others may be the central, multi-purpose facilities for large multi-system empires.
- Some mostly perform technical or engineering support while others may perform the functions of several types of military bases.
- The only given for a Corsair Base is that they will support corsair or pirate operations of some sort or another.
History & Background (Dossier)
Corsair Bases are, for the most part, a venerated social institution within the Vargr Extents and many other Vargr societies.
- Like any Vargr cultural practice, there are mixed opinion. Some Vargr condemn corsair bases while others celebrate them.
- The general consensus is that time spent on a corsair base, is a sort of informal rite of passage for many, but not all Vargr.
- The limitless social constructs, anti-authoritarianism, and extreme freedom practiced by many corsairs helps many Vargr to form their own personal, political preferences.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
World Listing: 1105
- J. Andrew Keith, Marc Miller, John Harshman. Vargr (Game Designers Workshop, 1984), 29,37.Simon Beal. Vargr (Mongoose Publishing, 2009), 29,37.
- "Pirates and Pirate Bases," MegaTraveller Journal 4
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science