Corporate class Range Carrier
Unpublished, non-canon fan design.
|Type: TB Transport|
|Cost|| MCr30278.026 (base)|
|Hull||Dispersed Structure Hull|
|Passengers||12 High/Med 500 Low|
|Reference||Ade Alagoric Stewart|
|Starships are designed with the Classic Traveller format, using High Guard.|
The Range Carrier is a large commercial transport commonly encountered along Star Lanes within the Distant Fringe region. It is classified as a Bulk Cargo Carrier and is constructed as a conventional design. Similar designs have been in use from the time the Distant Fringe was first settled.
- The vessel is a TL-11 design.
Basic Ship Characteristics
Following the Imperial Navy and IISS Universal Ship Profile and data, additional information is presented in the format shown here. The small craft factor indicates the number of squadrons (of ten craft) carried on the ship. Tonnage on the universal ship profile is shown in kilotons (thousands of tons) where necessary. 
|1.||Tonnage / Hull||The Range Carrier is constructed using a 75,000 dTon hull built in a dispersed structure configuration. The hull is unstreamlined and has no capability to perform atmospheric operations.|
|2.||Crew|| Total Crew Complement: x378
There are x600 Low Berths. These are tended by the vessel's medical staff and properly trained service crew.
|3.||Performance||The vessel mounts a DeVoss-type Jump-2 drive, a Maneuver-1 drive, and a Power Plant-2, giving performance of Jump-2, 1-G acceleration, and producing 1,500 Energy Points. The ship has an agility rating of 1. The internal fuel tankage is sufficient for one Jump-2 and gives the power plant 4 weeks duration.|
|4.||Electronics||Adjacent to the bridge is a Model/5 computer: the vessel has a backup Model/5 computer.|
|6.||Armament||The normal weapons fit-out for a Range Carrier is:|
|7.||Defenses||The hull is unarmored.|
|8.||Craft|| Flight Section
The vessel may also externally carry properly secured consignments of goods and freight: this cargo is in vacuum and must be protected accordingly.
|9.||Fuel Treatment||The vessel has internal fuel tankage of 16,500 dTons.|
|10.||Cost||The basic cost of the vessel, complete with its complement of subcraft, is MCr30,278.026.|
|11.||Construction Time|| 167 weeks (42 months) as standard.
|12.||Comments||Standard cargo capacity amounts to 44,000 dTons.|
The Distant Fringe is said to be a far spinward-rimward area inhabited by colonists and refugees originating on Terra and separated by vast, almost uncrossable rifts that were once broached by a massive system of calibration Points. Those few academics within Charted Space who have heard of the Distant Fringe regard it as little more than a tall tale. Likewise, many of the inhabitants of the Distant Fringe believe the existence of Charted Space to be mythical.
These vessels are very rarely encountered outside of the Distant Fringe region. However, misjumps do occur and anomalies with bizarre spacetime and Jumpspace effects exist: because of this, craft of this type are not entirely unknown within Charted Space.
The Range Carrier is capable of carrying "overburden" cargos: a payload of up to 69,000 dTons. The major limiting factor on overburdening a vessel is the capability of the ship's model/5 computer. If the total displacement tonnage of the vessel, including its overburden cargo, is 100,000 dTons or more, the computer cannot perform the calculations necessary to initiate a jump transition.
- The overburden payload increases the ship's displacement tonnage – to an upper limit of 100,000 dTons – but any degree of overburdening reduces its performance to jump-1 and 0.5G acceleration.
- The payload must be fully contained within the jump bubble.
- The practice of overburdening a ship places extreme stresses and strains on the internal equipment and dramatically increases the chances of a catastrophic failure.
Class Naming Practice/s & Peculiarities
A number of companies manufacture ships equivalent to the Corporate class. They vary in hull shape and internal layout but all share the same basic design and all have very similar capabilities and performance characteristics.
- Each variant class is named by the company that produces it: these organizations generally draw on traditional naming protocols. It is not uncommon for a historical class name to be reused.
- Individual vessels within a class are issued specific serial numbers and transponder codes but traditionally are named by their first crew, though from a list of approved options. This is considered a serious affair and a ship with a frivolous name is considered "unlucky".
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Bulk Cargo Carrier
- Corporate class Range Carrier
|This article has Metadata|
- Marc Miller, Frank Chadwick, John Harshman. High Guard (Game Designers Workshop, 1980), 20-37. (Design Sequence Used)
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science