Category talk:Subsector Map
This goes under the cute tricks file. If the subsector map images are divided by sector it is possible to get the image gallery to show the subsectors in sector layout order.
Make a Category: Subsector Map: Spinward Marches, with the subsector maps generated for that sector. The Category shows the image thumbnails four across. By default the images are shown in order of image name. But it is possible to tell the category generator to arrange them in a different order, like say subsector order.
You do this by including the sort order in the category tag for the image. For example: [[Category: Subsector Map: Spinward Marches|A]]. In this case the A indicates this image should be sorted with the A's, then by name. If you include the subsector letter for each subsector, they will be put into the image gallery in their proper order.
Like I said, this is one of those cute tricks you can do with the wiki if you understand the internals of the Wikimedia software. Tjoneslo 14:21, 27 October 2007 (UTC)
- Yes, that would certainly be possible. I'm actually not that used to considering the organization of images on wikis (I was surprised that you could give them categories...). So, yes, they could all be subcatted to Sectors and sorted out. They could also just be sorted by sector at this level, which will at least keep them near each other.
- My question is just how much is gained by it. I'm not really expecting people to go poking around and finding image categories, but maybe I'm just blind. If you have more reasons, I want to hear them. --Rindis 15:38, 27 October 2007 (UTC)
- There really isn't any reason to do it. That's why I called it a cute trick. I thought of it and posted it mostly so I wouldn't forget it. I do this on occasion, because I wander through the discussion forums on Wikia, and on Wikipedia, and the other wikis on Wikia to see how people solve problems. And when I see a cool solution or neat idea I post it around. If other people like it, it gets implemented. Tjoneslo 17:46, 27 October 2007 (UTC)
Things to do
Providing a map of every subsector in the Traveller universe is a huge undertaking, so here's the schedule of what's coming up. Feel free to make suggestions or requests.
Spinward Marches Sector(done) Solomani Rim Sector(done)
- Gvurrdon Sector (CT Alien 3)
Corridor Sector(done) Trojan Reach Sector(2 subsectors, done) Reft Sector(2 subsectors, done)
- Hinterworlds Sector (Challenge39 - semi-canon; Tjoneslo submitted - Rindis: need UWP/border info or my own copy if I'm to do it)
FASA cannon (I believe it's never been decanonized...)
- Old Expanses Sector (High Passage #3, 2 subsectors)
- Dark Nebula Sector (MT Alien 2 - problems with GT overwrite of DGP/Atlas(?) overwrite of position of Kusyu (world). Need to check how well Ulane Hoax does as a fix.)
Same place, different time
- Pre-FFW (No Border Worlds, Entropie et al with SW, minor border changes)
- GT:BtC (Major changes in Sword World subsector, Darrian expansion, Mewey Empire, Garoo, Ruie in the Imperium)
- TNE: Regency/Spinward Marches. (Rindis: I imagine there's quite a few changes worth doing, but don't have any of the materials myself.)
- Foreven Sector (8/16 done as imagemaps by User:Imperial Grand Survey—Anyone else find irony in the fact that Imperial Grand Survey did maps of Zhodani space? ~_^)
I was planning on doing Gvurrdon as my next project. However, the idea is to go as cannon as possible for as long as possible, and the semi-canon 1115 borders (our default setting) are far different from the canon 1111 borders. Since all the other map data is for ~1115 (through The Traveller Map, et al.), the 1111 will also look odd. Not sure if I want to go 1111, 1115 or just go to Corridor next.... Thoughts? --Rindis 18:50, 18 August 2009 (UTC)