- It is a part of operating a business or corporation within Imperial Space and even the larger region of Charted Space. 
- Established parts of Charted Space just consider the charter and associated taxes to be a cost of business operations. Parts of trade space operating without charters tend to have much larger costs and a lower level of assurances. Traders gravitate to stable markets. 
Certain labels are attached to company names to indicate whether the company is a corporation (...and whether it is public or private) or a partnership. These abbreviations help people doing business with such companies keep track of what form of business they are dealing with and what laws will protect them in the event of future difficulties. It is understood that most corporations in the Imperium, public or private, will have the appellation "LIC," which stands for Limited Imperial Corporation. This is often omitted in common usage: e.g. "SuSAG" is often used instead of "Schunamann and Sohn, AG LIC." 
No information yet available.
Business Charter Types
- Public Corporation
- Private Corporation
Except for a few corporations pre-dating the Imperium (e.g. Achenaar Antilles Line, GSbAG, Kirgaasanakka Publishing, Ling-Standard Products, Makhidkarun, Naasirka, Sharurshid, Zirunkariish), all corporations engaging in interstellar commerce are required to possess such a charter. This is indicated by the letters LIC following the company name.
Outside of Imperial Space
The idea of business charters is not common to all sophontic species, and many of the minor races do not possess a similar institution. All major races are believed to operate economies that use business charters, even if only for the convenience of dealing with other parts of Charted Space. 
Selected Other Business Charter Types
- AG (Aktiengesellschaft)
- Amt. (Amalgamated)
- BV (Besloten Venootschaap)
- GmbH (Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung)
- Inc. (Incorporated)
- LIC (Limited Liability Imperial Charter)
- LLC (Limited Liability Company)
- LLP (Limited Liability Partnership)
- LRC (Limited Regency Corporation)
- Ltd. (Limited Liability)
- NHv (Ngekdues Hvaek)
- NTh (Ngekvol Thaeghz)
- PLC or Plc (Public Limited Company)
- SA (Société Anonyme)
- SARL (Société à Responsabilité Limitée)
- SC (Service Corporation)
- SH (Syarei Huakh)
- SIA (S'mrii Incorporated Association)
- SPRL (Société Privée à Responsabilité Limitée)
- SRO (Spolecnost S Rucenim Omezenim)
- TOO (Tovarichestvo c Ogrannichnuu Otvetstvenuu)
- ULIC (Unlimited Liability Imperial Charter)
- ZhI (Zhievr Ielinzh)
Business Charter Type Details
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- John Harshman, Marc Miller, Loren Wiseman. Library Data (A-M) (Game Designers Workshop, 1981), 40.
- Martin Dougherty, Neil Frier. Behind the Claw (Steve Jackson Games, 1998), TBD.
- Steve Daniels, Jim McLean, Christopher Thrash. Far Trader (Steve Jackson Games, 1999), 45, 99, 109.
- Paul Drye, Loren Wiseman, Jon F. Zeigler. Interstellar Wars (Steve Jackson Games, 2006), TBD.
- Marc Miller. T5 Core Rules (Far Future Enterprises, 2013), TBD.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science