Biochip is short hand for biological microchip.
- Biochips are considered a viable predecessor technology to contemporary nanomedicine. They complement it across a variety of applications.
- Many sophont societies use them with wafertech applications.
- B: Biology / Biotechnology (Bio-)
- Artificial Womb
- Bio-Identenoid (Typoid)
- Genetic Engineering AKA Geneering
- Personality Recording
- Relict Regeneration
- Replacement Body Part
The biochip encompasses a wide variety of micro-electronic capabilities, including sensory enhancements, communications, and computing tasks. Rather than using a silicon or other metals as the basis for construction, the biochip uses biological materials for construction and workings. This includes the use of glucose and ATP for power, proteins for working structures, and DNA or the like as a storage medium.
In general, biochips are inferior to the equivalent electronic counterparts at this point in development. But in some specialized applications, the biochip version is superior. For example, implanted monitoring and treatment for specific medical conditions. The biochip is powered off the users own blood glucose, can manufacture the treatment regime directly, and administer it at need without requiring external monitoring or recharging.
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Jae Campbell. "Subsector Data: Zeda Subsector." Signal-GK 11 (1995): 92. - HIWG
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science