|Capital Ship Combatants||Escort Combatants||Military Smallcraft||Support Ships|
|Battleship||Cruiser||Carrier||Destroyer||Escort||Frigate||System Defense Boat||Fighter||Assault Transport||Smallcraft||Auxiliaries|
|Commercial Mercantile Ships||Non-Mercantile Commercial Ships||Non-Commercial Ships||Civilian Smallcraft||Highports & Satellites|
|Merchant||Liner||Transport||Commercial Industrial||Commercial Ships||General||Research||Private||Auxiliary|| Orbital
- They may serves as Subcraft carried within a larger ship.
- They may serve various roles such as Battle Riders, SDBs, Monitors, Barges, etc.
- Ships by Function
- Starship User Types
- Advanced Ship Classifications
- Basic Ship Classifications
- Speed of Travel
- Jump Drive
- Bigcraft differ from smallcraft in that they are larger. Smallcraft cap out at 99.99 tons. Bigcraft are a hundred or more tons in size. Bigcraft could theoretically be equipped with a jump drive.
- Bigcraft differ from starcraft in that they are not equipped with a FTL Jump Drive. Bigcraft are system craft, meant for intraplanetary travel, not trans or interplanetary travel between stars and star systems. Starcraft travel between stars. Bigcraft or spacecraft, in the pure sense, are not.
These vary in tonnage and in their intended function or role in fleet maneuvers and tactics. The security of the state is usually the primary design imperative. 
|Ship Classification by Size in TL:13-15 |
|1.||Smallcraft (Subcraft)||0 to 99 tons||Vehicle||Ubiquitous||Smallcraft are NAFAL or STL.|
|2.||Bigcraft (Subcraft)||100 tons or larger||Vehicle or Ship||Uncommon||Bigcraft may be designed FTL or NAFAL.|
|3.||Adventure Class Ships (ACS)||100 to 2,499 tons||Ship or Vessel||Common||Adventure Class ships may be FTL or NAFAL.|
|4.||Battle Class Ships (BCS)||2,500 to 249,999 tons||Ship or Vessel||Uncommon||Battle Class ships may be FTL or NAFAL.|
|5.||Fleet Class Ships (FCS)||250,000 to 999,999 tons||Ship or Vessel||Rare||Fleet Class ships may be FTL or NAFAL.|
|6.||World Class Ships (WCS)||1,000,000 tons or larger||Ship or Vessel||Ultra-rare||World Class ships may be FTL or NAFAL.|
Bigcraft with all their various missions remain popular throughout Charted Space for the simple reason that omitting a jump engine, hull grid, and related ship equipment is a tremendous savings in cost, manufacturing, and a number of other factors.
Jump Drives are tremendously expensive, complicated, and difficult to research and master. It's simply easier to design system ships for which there can be tremendously greater efficiencies of cost and manufacturing.
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Marc Miller. T5 Core Rules (Far Future Enterprises, 2013), TBD.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science
- An unpublished factoid written by Ronald B. Kline, Jr.
- An unpublished factoid written by Maksim-Smelchak