The Basilisk Nebula is a group of bright nebulae and dark clouds measuring around 10 parsecs coreward-rimward by 13 parsecs spinward-trailing. The Basilisk's Eye system lies at its core.
- It is classified as an emission nebula and is primarily formed of ionized gases, thrown off by the supergiant primary star of the Basilisk's Eye system many millennia ago.
- The gases consist of about 90% hydrogen (H2), with the remainder made up of helium (He), oxygen (O2), nitrogen (N2), and other elements. The clouds have a mean density of 102–106 particles/cm³.
- The gases primarily emit red light, though other colors can be seen: the source of ionization is high-energy photons emitted from the Basilisk's Eye supergiant star.
A quaternary star system lies at the heart of the nebula:
Quaternary Solar System
Basilisk's Eye Quaternary Star System Star Name Hierarchy Color Classification Remarks Basilisk's Eye Primary Primary Yellow-White F7 Ib None Basilisk's Eye Companion Secondary Orange K1 III orbits primary at 5100 AU Basilisk's Eye Far Companion Tertiary Orange K8 V orbits secondary at 0.7 AU Basilisk's Eye Distant Companion Quaternary Brown Dwarf BD orbits seconday at 150 AU
Hex Location: 1723 Tarchon Sector. 3 Gas Giants.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
World Listing: 1105
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: WHULorigan
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science