Banya class Light Fleet Corvette
|Banya class Light Fleet Corvette|
Published, canon starship design.
|Type: EG Light Fleet Corvette|
|Canon||No. Unpublished, non-canon fan design.|
|EOS||Still in active service.|
|Passengers||X High/Med X Low|
|Reference||Fan: Bleddyn Wilson|
|Starships are designed with the Classic Traveller format, using High Guard.|
The Banya class Light Fleet Corvette is a light warship.
The Corvette-Light Fleet Banya is a 800 ton civilian design with a construction tech level of 14 and a cost of MCr576.54, including design fees. Construction time is 112 weeks. Subsequent ships of the class will cost MCr456.66 and take 90 weeks to complete.
- The 800 ton hull is of the Cone configuration; it is streamlined and capable of atmospheric work (hull cost, including 10% surcharge for Cone configuration: MCr88.0). The ship carries Armor factor-1. Fuel scoops are present (MCr).
- A bridge (20.0 tons; MCr4.0) and a computer Model/4 (4.0 tons; MCr30.0; 2 energy points).
- The ship is Jump-4 (85 tons; MCr160), Maneuver-4 (31 tons; MCr64), and Power plant-5 (61 tons; MCr176). The power plant provides 40 energy points. Fuel tankage provides 380 tons of fuel. 320 tons enables a 4 parsec jump range and a further 60 tons giving endurance 4 weeks (24 weeks powered down). There is a fuel purification plant (4.0 tons; MCr0.03).
- The ship is armed with four triple beam laser turrets, three triple missile turrets, and a bridge controlled fixed sand caster countermeasures (eqv triple sand caster turret)
- The crew numbers 33 (Command: 2+1, Engineers: 1+5, Gunners:1+7, Marines: 0+10, Specialists: 5+6, Medic: 0+1) including 10 marines. No passengers. All sophonts are accomodated in 8 staterooms and 29 half staterooms (cabins).
- Payloads carried includes; one Engineering Workshop, one G-carrier, berth, two Cargos, one Medbay. A cargo hold of 20.0 tons is provided.
- Ship's vehicles include; A 30 ton Ship's Boat, Four 10 ton Light Fighters, occupying a 50 ton hangars.
- The ship has an agility of 3 and an emergency agility of 4.
General Description & Deck Plans
No information yet available.
Basic Ship Characteristics
Following the Imperial Navy and IISS Universal Ship Profile and data, additional information is presented in the format shown here. The small craft factor indicates the number of squadrons (...of ten subcraft) carried on the ship. Tonnage on the universal ship profile is shown in kilotons (...thousands of tons) where necessary. 
|Basic Ship Characteristics |
|1.||Tonnage / Hull||800 tons.|
|6.||Armament|| The normal weapons fit-out for it is:
|8.||Craft||x1 30 ton Ship's Boat|
|9.||Fuel Treatment|| Fuel scoops are present.
|10.||Cost||MCr576.54, including design fees. Construction time is 112 weeks. Subsequent ships of the class will cost MCr456.66 and take 90 weeks to complete.|
|11.||Construction Time||28 months to build, 23 months in quantity.|
|12.||Comments||Standard cargo capacity amounts to 20.0 tons.|
The Banya class Light Fleet Corvette is a ship serving with the Zhodani Navy. The Banya Class is the frequently encountered patrolling in or near Zhodani controlled space. As with the Berka Class the Banya Class is a product of the Naval Review that began in 1112 following the Fifth Frontier War. With the re-evaluation of doctrine and construction of the small ships, it was determined a more robust corvette was need to patrol and police the intersteller commerce lanes and borders of the Consulate frontier. As a part the new generation of blieldliefr (Little ships) it share almost 90% of the same construction and characteristics as the Berka-class Fleet Corvette. As with her sister classes the Bra’la and Berka these small taunt ships are tasked with fleet/squadron escort, commerce protection, and patrol duties. The myriad of missions they perform is almost limitless. However the “light” destination reflects the divergence for the Berka. Lacking the particle accelerator the ship’s relies on its armament and four light fighters. The additional fighters allow it to control more space and conduct broader presence patrols. The crews are well trained and are noted for an esprit de corps that is called blieldliefr ibl, “little ship fever”, that is cultivated by the ship captains. Over 576 Banya class fleet corvettes are in commission presently with more being constructed on a yearly basis. In the Idar Nobsl Province provides the main shipyard construction centres for the little ships are. 
Standard Zhodani Corvette Flotillas are composed of 2-4 Berka Corvettes, 2-4 Banya Corvettes; and 2-4 Bra’la Corvette Transports. The Flottila Commodore also has an organic Fleet Corvette Tender that allows the flotilla conduct repairs and replinishment operations in forward areas and project soft power when capital ships would illicit both political and military heightened tensions bordering interstellar powers.
It is not uncommon to encounter task squadrons of 2-3 Corvettes working in tandem the configuration is determined by mission profile. Aggressive anti-piracy for instance would usually be 2 Berkas and a Banya providing forward screening with its fighters. Another example is a terrestial showing of the flag or escort missions would be a combination of a 2 Banyas and Bra’la Corvette which would allow a platoon of ZNSLF and a flight of 8 Fighters for a soft show of force, or soft intervention on frontier worlds.
Class Naming Practice/s & Peculiarities
No information yet available.
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Type EG class Military Corvette
- Antarian class Corvette
- Banya class Light Fleet Corvette
- Berka class Heavy Fleet Corvette
- Fiery class Gunned Escort
- Flare class Gunboat
- Foxtrot class Corvette
- Gunbuster class Corvette
- Kalaron class Corvette
- KE7 Virulent class Corvette
- Kodan class Corvette
- Lakr class Corvette
- Lawful Means class Corvette
- Menace class Corvette
- Ming class Corvette
- Oegveng class Gunned Corvette
- Polaris class Corvette
- Rule of Man class Gunboat
- TC8 Nedric class Corvette
- Type RG class Assault Gunship
- Ueghzgi class Corvette
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article has Metadata|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Marc Miller, Frank Chadwick, John Harshman. High Guard (Game Designers Workshop, 1980), 20-37. (Design Sequence Used)
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Designer: Bleddyn Wilson (Meteoric Assualt)
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis), Captain, and Lead Naval Architect Ronald B. Kline, Jr. of the Imperial Navy
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science