An Artifact is any manufactured object.
- May be a technological device or tool.
- May just as easily be a cultural object, a luxury or gimmick, with no direct link to a sophontic technology.
- Imperial law requires all artifacts found in Imperial Space to be turned over to the Third Imperium.
An artifact is anything created by sophonts which gives information about the culture of its creator and users. It is typically something made or given shape by a sophont, such as a tool or a work of art, especially an object of archaeological interest.
History & Background (Dossier)
An artifact can be any tangible object created by a sophont species. Many but not all artifacts are devices, which is to say technological tools. Some artifacts are not tools and possess cultural meaning that may be incomprehensible to sophonts from a different culture.
For example, many of the artifacts recovered from the precursor culture of the Ancients still remain mysteries to the TL-15 societies of Charted Space. Some of these artifacts were clearly created with technology far more advanced than that currently in use throughout the starways. Some of these artifacts have been determined to be technological devices or tools while others may have been luxuries, gimmicks, or items of undetermined cultural value.
No one currently knows... or is telling.
References & Contributors (Sources)
- Classic Traveller Twilight's Peak (book)
- Classic Traveller Supplement 8 Library Data (A-M)
- T5 Traveller Trading Card Reference
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science