- It is a peripheral or minority language.
Arrghoun is a relatively simple Vargr language which in its development lost such complications as noun declensions, gender differences, or elaborate endings or prefixes.
- Vargr language scholars believe the language was largely a trade language, developed as an aid to trade throughout the sector.
- Verbs: The basic unconjugated verb is the infinitive. When the verb is conjugated to show the actor, a noun or pronoun acts as its subject, and an appropriate ending is added to the verb to agree with the subject. Endings for person (first (te) , second (tas) or third) and if the subject is singular or plural are all different.
- Verbs are always conjugated with the same suffixes for past, present, or future action. Past and future action are further noted with a prefix to the conjugated verb. Past action is shown by prefixing sa to the conjugated verb. Future action is shown by prefixing ngu to the conjugated verb.
- When telling someone to do something (giving commands) the verb is conjugated in the second person and the word tsoe is added afterwards.
- Nouns: Nouns may be shown to possess something by the word fa following them. For example Gvurrdon fa means "belonging to Gvurrdon."
- Nouns are made plural by the addition of z to the end of the word. If the word ends in a vowel, add rz instead.
Morphology is the study of the internal structure of words.
- morpheme, inflection, paradigm, declension, derivation, compound, etc.
Phonology, the study of the sound systems of a language.
- phoneme, allophone, segment, mora, syllable, foot, stress, tone, etc.
Grammar is the structure of a language.
- tense, aspect, mood and modality, grammatical number, grammatical gender, case, etc.
Syntax is the study of how words combine to form grammatical sentences.
- phrase, clause, grammatical function, grammatical voice, etc.
No information yet available.
A lexicon is the word supply of a language.
- word, lexeme, lemma, lexicon, vocabulary, terminology, etc.
Semantics is the study of the meaning of words (lexical semantics), and how these combine to form the meanings of sentences.
- meaning, sense, entailment, truth condition, compositionality, etc.
Pragmatics is the study of how language is used by its speakers.
- presupposition, implicature, deixis
History & Background (Historical Linguistics)
- Some Vargr scientists are hopefully looking for extant communities on Vargr fringe and border worlds in the hopes of finding an existing community of Arrghoun speakers for study. Corsairs and the balkanized nature of Vargr soceity makes this search especially difficult.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
This language is primarily in use in the following areas:
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is incomplete meaning it lacks important features, structure, or content. More work needs to be done to make this a good article. This is step 4. in the article refinement process.