Despite the gastrointestinal problems it creates, raw argu does appear to offer some health benefits and protections to those who take it on a long term basis, particularly with regard to neurological disorders. 
Vilani argu is poisonous if not prepared properly and Shugilii hoard recipes for processing raw argu, it being part of initiation ceremonies or rituals, to enter the sacred ranks. Shugilii often take spirit trips to visit the ancestors using the pyschotropic effects of argu.
There are related "spice" analogues on other worlds within Charted Space. It is a wildly popular spice used for alimentary and entertainment purposes, despite protestation of the Shugilii that it is their exclusive herb. Argu and related analogues can be found throughout Charted Space. 
Travellers' Aid Society Advisory
The Travellers' Aid Society (TAS) classifies Argu as mildly threatening to most sophonts and makes no special advisory regarding this organism other than to ensure it is processed properly before consumption.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
World Listing: 1105
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- EXTERNAL LINK: Professor Thornwood of the Thornwood-Daarnulud Institute
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science
- An unpublished factoid written by Alegoric
- An unpublished factoid written by Craig A. Glesner & Maksim-Smelchak