- It is an advanced transportation technology enabling cost and capability advantages to ships equipped to use it.
It is essentially a beamed power system allowing a specially equipped starship to save on weight and equipment similar to an X-boat in principle.
- The saving in weight and complexity make maintenance easier, costs less in mass and weight, and enables advantages over starships with conventional jump drives.
How It Works
The stargate network consists of a series of satellites orbiting the planets of Gateway and Argi in the Argi Subsector at the leading and trailing Trojan positions absorbing solar energy which are then beamed to specially modified starships fitted with external power couplings.
Such external power craft utilises only a very basic Jump Drive and do not carry a jump fuel supply. However, they require a secondary or “trickle” power plant which supplies power to the jump systems while the craft is in Jumpspace. Superconducting power connections on the hull permit connection to an external power source beamed from the satellites prior to jump.
A StarGate starship requires only external power couplings, plus the jump net and basic control gear which displaces and weighs one tenth and costs one-quarter of the equivalent conventional jump drive. This also increases the ship's cargo capacity.
At Gateway solar power is also supplemented by additional power beamed from the Highway. The Stargate is currently only to be found on Gateway and Argi with other gates planned for Gigi, Ashmasa, and Akiva. Specially designed ships are required to benefit from the 'Gate mechanism.
The Stargate was first activated in 977 by the Stargate Consortium (...comprising funding from the Argian government and the Scanian Traveller's Aid Fund) having taken almost 35 years to plan and construct.
It has now been successfully in operation for decades and the interests that funded it are preparing to bring it to the interstellar market.
No information yet available.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
NOTES: The systems are relatively new and haven't yet sold throughout Charted Space. It is expected that they will sell well unless the long anticipated Hop Drive is perfected before the market saturates with this device. Or some Act of a Cosmic Deity tears apart the interstellar order. 
World Listing: 1105
References & Contributors (Sources)
- Jae Campbell, Leighton Piper. Signal-GK 01 (Signal-GK, 1989), TBD.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: J. Duncan Law-Green (Originator of concept)
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science
- An unpublished factoid written by Maksim-Smelchak