- It is a hypercentral language and is often used as a lingua franca (trade language) throughout Charted Space.
- It is sometimes confusingly referred to as Galanglic (Galactic Anglic), which is distinct from the Galaach dialect of Anglic.
- The dominant dialect of Anglic is called Core Anglic although lay people often use the terms interchangeably.
Anglic aka Galanglic (for Galactic Anglic) is the official language of the Third Imperium.
- A distant descendent of Terran English, Anglic was used as a general communication language between people among the Terran forces - even though most of them had a different mother tongue, depending on their country of birth.
- On many worlds, Anglic is only a second language used for system traffic control, commercial operations, and interstellar communications. Indeed, according to the initial waves of settlements a world has known in its history, the local language(s) may well be Vilani, a language from one of the many human civilizations which were incorporated in the first Imperium, or one of the Terran languages.
- The Third Imperium has not been able to prevent the emergence of a wide variety of Anglic dialects. Interstellar communications, holocrystals, and recordings help to spread a uniform pronunciation of Anglic throughout the entire Imperium. Within the Imperium, any Anglic speaker can understand almost any other, but isolated communities on worlds with little contact with the interstellar trade lanes shift their speech patterns to form dialects.
- In addition, broad areas within the Third Imperium have established their own pronunciation patterns; accepted dialects include:
No information yet available.
Morphology is the study of the internal structure of words.
- morpheme, inflection, paradigm, declension, derivation, compound, etc.
Phonology, the study of the sound systems of a language.
- phoneme, allophone, segment, mora, syllable, foot, stress, tone, etc.
Grammar is the structure of a language.
- tense, aspect, mood and modality, grammatical number, grammatical gender, case, etc.
Syntax is the study of how words combine to form grammatical sentences.
- phrase, clause, grammatical function, grammatical voice, etc.
No information yet available.
A lexicon is the word supply of a language.
- word, lexeme, lemma, lexicon, vocabulary, terminology, etc.
Semantics is the study of the meaning of words (lexical semantics), and how these combine to form the meanings of sentences.
- meaning, sense, entailment, truth condition, compositionality, etc.
Pragmatics is the study of how language is used by its speakers.
- presupposition, implicature, deixis
History & Background (Historical Linguistics)
The First Imperium itself had several languages: it had been born out of a gathering of worlds which all had their own civilizations and languages. However, given the centralized structure of the First Imperium, the Vilani language had imposed itself as a common language.
- After the Terran forces conquered the First Imperium, Anglic became naturally the official language of the Rule of Man (or the Second Imperium -2294 to -1776) and remained a common interstellar language for trade and commerce during the Long Night. Its widespread use on the original worlds of the Imperium made it the natural language when the Third Imperium was established.
Modern Anglic naturally includes words from various origins, notably many Vilani words. In addition the evolution of the language has made it completely different from the old Terran English.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
This language is primarily in use in the following areas:
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|