- It is a hypercentral language and is often used as a lingua franca (trade language) throughout Charted Space. The dominant dialect of Anglic is called Core Anglic although lay people often use the terms interchangeably.
Anglic (also known as Galanglic for Galactic Anglic) is one of the official languages of the Third Imperium.
- A distant descendent of Terran English, Anglic was used as a general communication language between people among the Terran forces - even though most of them had a different mother tongue, depending on their country of birth.
- On many worlds, Anglic is only a second language used for system traffic control, commercial operations, and interstellar communications. Indeed, according to the initial waves of settlements a world has known in its history, the local language(s) may well be Vilani, a language from one of the many human civilizations which were incorporated in the first Imperium, or one of the Terran languages.
Anglic uses two primary scripts, both considered official:
- Terran Latin-based alphanumeric alphabet.
- Vilani hybrid abugida-alphabetic script.
The Third Imperium has not been able to prevent the emergence of a wide variety of Anglic dialects. Interstellar communications, holocrystals, and recordings help to spread a uniform pronunciation of Anglic throughout the entire Imperium. Within the Imperium, any Anglic speaker can understand almost any other, but isolated communities on worlds with little contact with the interstellar trade lanes shift their speech patterns to form dialects.
In addition, broad areas within the Third Imperium have established their own pronunciation patterns; accepted dialects include:
- Rim (which includes Terra),
- Core (the central region of the Imperium),
- Riftian (the spinward frontiers), and...
- Transform (the Antares region).
- Galaach an Anglic derived trade language used in the Ushran Empire
For the most part, most variations of modern Anglic use structures similar to modern English, as is still used on Terra.
Most variations of modern Anglic use morphologies very similar to modern English, as is still used on Terra.
Most variations of modern Anglic use phonologies very dissimilar to modern English, as is still used on Terra.
Grammar is the structure of a language.
- Much like Terran German, Modern Anglic capitalizes all nouns, whether proper or not, unlike Terran English. This often leads to conflict with English speakers who use a different system of grammatical rules for capitalization of words.
History & Background (Historical Linguistics)
The First Imperium itself had several languages: it had been born out of a gathering of worlds which all had their own civilizations and languages. However, given the centralized structure of the First Imperium, the Vilani language had imposed itself as a common language.
After the Terran forces conquered the First Imperium, Anglic became naturally the official language of the Rule of Man (or the Second Imperium -2294 to -1776) and remained a common interstellar language for trade and commerce during the Long Night. Its widespread use on the original worlds of the Imperium made it the natural language when the Third Imperium was established.
Modern Anglic naturally includes words from various origins, notably many Vilani words. In addition the evolution of the language has made it completely different from the old Terran English.
Worlds and sectors
This language is primarily in use in the following areas:
References and contributors
- Marc Miller. Imperial Encyclopedia (Game Designers Workshop, 1987), 17.
- Marc Miller. Players' Manual (Game Designers Workshop, 1987), 33.
- Citation Missing - GURPS Traveller
- Jae Campbell. Encyclopaedia Dagudashaag (Signal-GK, 2017), 119.