Alpha Crucis (star)
|α1 Crucis (A + Ab)|
|Mag Terra||1.40 (23rd)|
|Companion||α1 Crucis Ab (Mass = 10 MSol)|
|α2 Crucis (B)|
|α3 Crucis (C)|
- α1 [A] (B0.5 IV)
- α1 [Ab] (spectrum unknown)
- α2 [B] (B1 V)
- α3 [C] (B4 IV)
Only two components are visually distinguishable from Terra, α1 and α2, separated by 4 arcseconds. α1 is magnitude 1.40 and α2 is magnitude 2.09, both hot class B (almost class O) stars, with surface temperatures of about 28,000 and 26,000 K respectively. Their luminosities are 25,000 and 16,000 times that of Sol. α1 and α2 orbit over such a long period that motion is only barely seen. From their minimum separation of 430AU, the period is at least 1,500 years, and may be much longer.
α1 is itself a spectroscopic binary star, with its components thought to be around 14 and 10 times the mass of Sol and orbiting in only 76 days at a separation of about one astronomical unit. The masses of α2 and the brighter component of α1 suggest that the stars will someday explode as supernovae. The fainter component of α1 may survive to become a massive white dwarf.
Another class-B4 subgiant, Alpha Crucis C or α3 Crucis, lies 90 arcseconds away from triple Acrux and shares Acrux's motion through space, suggesting it may be gravitationally bound to Acrux. It is therefore generally assumed to be physically associated with Acrux.
- Alpha Crucis is the 13th brightest star as seen from Terra, individually they are the 23rd (α1) and 57th (α2) brightest star. It is the 45th brightest star in the galaxy, and one of the brightest in Charted Space. None of the Alpha Crucis stars are significantly large.
History & Background (Dossier)
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article has Metadata|
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Alpha_Crucis. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. The text of Wikipedia is available under the Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.|
- Mongoose Traveller: Solomani Alien Module 5
- EXTERNAL LINK: SIMBAD @ University of Strasbourg: 
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord & Chief Marshall (Count) Dan Corrin of the Office of the Emperor
- Author & Contributor: Rimguy
- Author & Contributor: WHULorigan
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science