Agriculture, Food, and Luxuries
There are literally billions of consumers who require goods, commodities, consumables and items in order to survive and to enrich their lives. Some products are required on a daily basis (such as foodstuffs) while others (such as consumer electronics) may be purchased occasionally.
There is a certain amount of cross-over with businesses considered to be part of the Media, Leisure, and Tourism sector.
Agriculture is the business, science, and art of the cultivation and breeding of animals, plants and fungi for food, fiber, biofuel, medicinal plants and other products used to sustain and enhance sophont life. Some of the major operatives involved in the industry include:
- AgriCom (based at Maujen)
- BioProduktie GmbH (based at Denirad).
- Green Moon (based at Garin).
- Rose Bloom & Co (based at Saldazar).
- Jittan Piers (based at Demar).
- Oldstock Produce (based at Felid).
- Uttakar Marine Biosystems AG (based at Pessent).
- Yuan Wi (based at Rissa).
Agricultural processes include raising, harvesting and processing organic raw materials to provide finished goods. Arable farming is a form of agriculture aimed at growing crops from various types of flora. Pastoral farming (also known in some regions as ranching, livestock farming or grazing) is a form of agriculture aimed at producing livestock. Fishing is the process of harvesting marine organisms for commercial purposes. Some species of fauna cannot be reared on farms, and when it is time to collect them they must be hunted to utilise their products. Likewise, some crops or resources cannot be raised in commercial farms and must be gathered from the wild. As well as food, products such as leather, textiles, organic oils, waxes and resins all fall into this category.
Food, Consumer Goods, and Retail
Consumer goods are products, such as food, clothing or devices, that satisfy sophont wants and needs through their consumption or use.
- 3-65 Services (based at Ras Tennol).
- First Harvest (based at Wolf).
- Nova Provision (based at Scybria).
- Pro-Vida (based at Lon Mardos).
- Winkel De Vries BV (based at Salatho).
Wholesale is the business of selling goods in large quantities and at low prices, typically to be resold in smaller lots by retailers at a profit. Retail covers the sale of goods to the public, generally through retail stores, in relatively small quantities for use or consumption. Raw food includes ingredients and basic foodstuffs. Fresh foods. Pre-preparerd foodstuffs. Preserved foods. Rations. Textiles and fabrics. Specialist fabrics. Finished clothing and footwear. Furs, pelts, hides, leather. Lumber, canes, stems, fibers, resins, saps, nectars and secretions.
- Fringe Produce (based at Sudi Verisia)
- Kline and Husse Ltd. (based at Selasia)
- Munro Calder & Co (based at Tal Varisa)
Exotic spices. Rare ingredients. Foods with unusual properties. Exotic fragrances, perfumes, cosmetics. Specialist health products. Anagathics. Unusual fabrics or items of clothing. Alcohol and similar beverage. Psychoactive substances chemicals. Extremely rare ingredients. It also includes the rearing of racing animals, riding animals, pack animals, pets, and trained animals, as well as stabling and kenneling services.
References & Contributors / Sources
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science