Abbot (Bo 1337) (world)
This is a world-system under construction and is currently being input-programmed into the Traveller RPG Wiki.
|Abbot/Nabile (Bourne 1337)|
|Classic Era (1115)|| |
Abbot (Bo 1337) is a low-population water world, which has 90% or more of its surface covered in an ocean of water and a population of less than 10,000 sophonts.
- The inhabitants of this world live on the roughly 10% of exposed land mass, in underwater colonies, on city ships, or similar arrangements.
- It is a Non-Aligned world dominated by human sophonts located in the Nabile Subsector of Bourne Sector.
- 100% of the population is composed of Terran humans.
- Abbot sees traffic heading towards or returning from the Nabile Deep Space Fuel Cache.
- 1 Description / Astrography & Planetology
- 2 History & Background / Dossier
- 3 References & Contributors / Sources
Description / Astrography & Planetology
- It lies at the tip of the Abbot Spur.
Abbot (Bo 1337) Monostellar System Star Name Hierarchy Color Classification Remarks Abbot (Bo 1337) Primary Orange K7 V None
The primary is Flynn, an ordinary orange main sequence star. It has a luminosity of 0.064 Sols, a mass of 0.5376 Sols, and a diameter of 778,000 km. (I) Costello, a large gas giant: (Ib) Abbot is its outer moon and is designated the mainworld, (II) a sparse icy planetoid belt, (III) an exotic atmosphere bigworld, (IV) a small gas giant, (V) a small ice giant, (VI) a small gas giant, (VII) a trace atmosphere iceworld, and (VIII) a vacuum worldlet form the outer system. Most of the worlds retain families of satellites.
(I) Costello is a large gas giant that orbits Flynn at a mean distance of 0.14 AU (21 million km), within the outer system, and has an orbital period of 26 days 2 hours. It has a diameter of 99,000 km and an atmosphere consisting of 91% hydrogen (H2), 9% helium (He), and less than 1% methane (CH4), carbon monoxide (CO), ammonia (NH3), water vapor (H2O) and other trace gases. It is a heavily banded orange-tan colour and is dotted with small dark storms. It retains a family of two major satellites of which the outer, (Ib) Abbot, is designated the mainworld.
Costello retains two major satellites:
- (Ia) Louis (UWP Y3A0000-0, orbiting at 6 Diameters/595,000 km)
- (Ib) Abbot (designated the mainworld, orbiting at 9 Diameters/900,000 km)
(Ib) Abbot is the outer of the two major moons of (I) Costello and is designated the mainworld. It orbits its parent world at a mean distance of 9 diameters (900,000 km), with an orbital period of 8 days 11 hours: it is tidally locked to Costello. The axial tilt is 5 degrees relative to Costello. Abbot has a diameter of 12,085 km, a density of 6.96 g/cm³ and a surface gravity of 1.20 G. Tidal stresses generated by the gravitational pull of Costello cause constant geological activity. The atmosphere is rated as Dense, with a mean surface pressure of 1.92 bar and a composition of 78% nitrogen (N2), 21% oxygen (O2), and 1% argon (Ar), water vapor (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2), ozone (O3), neon (Ne) and other trace gases. 100% of the surface is covered in an ocean of water kept liquid by the high atmospheric pressure, its high salinity, and by geothermal energy: average tidal ranges exceed 2m. Mean surface temperature: -13°C. The climate is rated as Cold and is static, with no seasonal changes during the local year. The atmosphere is very active and powerful weather systems driven by the star and the oceans surge across the globe.
Mainworld Geography & Topography
Total surface area: 459 million km², Water and pack ice surface area: 355 million km², Permanent icecaps surface area: 194 million km². The surface of Abbot is entirely covered in oceans of saline liquid water capped with a fractured crust of unstable sea-ice. The surface is scoured by high speed winds and ice-storms. The oceans, below the surface ice sheets, are kept liquid by pressure and geothermal energy. A number of volcanic peaks lie above the surface of the ice and form long chains of islands. The largest of these are the Crestpeak Islands, an archipelago lying in the northern tropics.
Abbot, the mainworld, has extensive, abundant native life, with complex organisms inhabiting every ecological niche. Their metabolic functions drive the process of atmospheric renewal. Abbot's oceans are home to a huge variety of aquatic species, some of considerable size.
History & Background / Dossier
To be added.
Abbot (Bo 1337) has a frontier quality starport.
- A Class-E Starport Facility is a very limited facility.
- This facility has no shipyard and can only perform extremely limited repair work at best.
- This facility has refueling infrastructure and limited refining capabilities. One may purchase unrefined fuel here.
- Starports of this class are usually a Lowport and a Highport would almost never be found.
World Technology Level
- Common Communication technologies for this TL include: Runners or beast relay, the printing press, long distance signaling such as the heliograph and semaphore.
- Common Power Generation technologies for this TL include: Water wheels and wind power.
- Common Transportation technologies for this TL include:
- Land: Riding beasts and creature-drawn wheeled vehicles.
- Water: Sailing vessels.
- Air: Typically not available unless a bodily ability or ride-able flying beasts available.
Abbot (Bo 1337) has no well-defined government structure.
- In many cases, tribal, clan or family bonds predominate.
- The typical power source of this government is an Pantocracy or Chaos.
- The typical power structure of this government is a Confederation (Anarchy).
None. Individuals (and their neighbors) defend their own homesteads and holdings if necessary.
- Resources: C (Very abundant)
- Labor: 0 (No available workforce)
- Infrastructure: 1 (Extremely limited)
- Efficiency: −2 (Fair)
Officially, at least, Abbot is entirely self-sufficient and conducts no offworld trade. However, if a meeting can be arranged a few choice luxuries may fetch many times their true value in raw materials or processed bioproducts.
Population 30 individuals.
The entire population of Abbot consists of a reclusive fishing community located on an isolated volcanic island named Icebreak. It lies relatively close to the equator, where temperatures average a relatively balmy -34°C and there are large regions of open sea. The community is voluntarily regressive, choosing to exist in isolation at primitive technological levels. They are entirely self-sufficient, living off of the bountiful mineral and biological resources of their world.
- Homogeneity: 1 (Monolithic)
- Acceptance: 1 (Extremely xenophobic)
- Strangeness: 10
- Symbols: 2
The only community on Abbot is called Homestead. It lies on the sheltered western edge of Icebreak, an isolated equatorial volcanic island.
Abbot was the first system of the Distant Fringe proper entered by humans.
Abbot was settled by a small group of isolationists in the early 55th century.
The first extant listing of Abbot (circa 2950AD) gave its UWP as E89A000-0, when the world was undergoing a period of intense seismic activity. The atmosphere is noted as Dense, Tainted, containing traces sulfur dioxide (SO2), carbon monoxide (CO) and other gases of volcanic origin. A navigation beacon had been located on the world, possibly at the same time that the survey was conducted.
Post-Voyagers Abbot (circa 5000AD) had its UWP listed as E88A000-0. Ice core samples taken by a research team from the University of Tal Varisa show that the planet-wide seismic activity lessened during the 42nd and 43rd centuries, and by the 48th century the atmosphere had entirely lost its taint.
References & Contributors / Sources
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|