The Aasa'tha Cluster is an open cluster of stars lying within the rimward edge of Course Sector.
- 1 Description / Specifications
- 2 Physical Astrography
- 3 Political Astrography
- 4 History & Background / Dossier
- 5 References & Contributors / Sources
Description / Specifications
The Cluster lies across As'Kaa and Aasa'tha Subsectors in Course Sector. It is named for the Aasa'tha system and lies some 8 parsecs from the Distant Fringe proper at its closest point. It is considered to contain 10 systems. It lies within the Moat Rifts and is generally considered to mark the border between that rift and the Great Void.
Other Clusters & Traces
Rifts & Voids
Other Astrographic Features
- The Cauldron Nebula, lying within Cauldron Sector, some 75 parsecs to coreward-trailing, can be seen as a star-studded luminous region in night-time skies from all of the worlds of the Cluster.
- Basilisk's Eye (1723 Tarchon Sector). The extremely luminous white supergiant star, lying around 120 parsecs to coreward-trailing, can be clearly seen from all of the worlds of the Cluster.
- Demon's Eye (1621 Far Home Sector). The intensely luminous blue supergiant star lying approximately 20 parsecs to spinward-coreward at its closest point, can be clearly seen from all of the worlds of the Cluster even in daylight.
The Aasa'tha Cluster lies within the following Subsector:
Population: as far as is known, the cluster is unpopulated.
No native sophonts are known to have originated within the Aasa'tha Cluster.
No languages are spoken within the Cluster. However, if markers and beacons are in place they will be in the following languages:
The Aasa'tha Cluster is claimed by the Shikh’aa Faction of the Sath Alliance. Humans are not welcome within Alliance territory: if humans were discovered within the Aasa'tha Cluster they would be met with a hostile reception.
Although there are no official records of the Cluster having been visited by starfaring Sophonts, the Sath Alliance has almost certainly sent manned vessels. It has declared the cluster to be a protected territory of of the Alliance.
No capital has been nominated.
History & Background / Dossier
The normal convention within the Distant Fringe is to name a Subsector or an Astrographic feature for the brightest star within it, a custom that the Sath also generally follow. However, the Aasa'tha Cluster does not fall into this pattern, instead being named for a small, dim, unremarkable star at its center. There is no immediately obvious reason for this, but it has been proposed that Aasa'tha may be the homeworld of a currently unknown sophont species.
Major Historical Events Timeline
- 2255AD: Humans arrive in the Demon Cluster.
- ca 5550AD: The Sath technological base advances to the point where they are able to produce their own jump-2 drives.
- 5600AD: Data for the Aasa'tha Cluster is published in the DSP Listing.
References & Contributors / Sources
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science