3V Entertainment is the single most popular form of media in the Distant Fringe.
Description / Specifications
3V (Holography) is a telecommunication medium used for transmitting moving images in three dimensions and sound. The term can refer to a 3V viewer, a 3V program ("3V show"), or the medium of 3V transmission. 3V is a mass medium for entertainment, education, news, politics, gossip and advertising.
Most commonly these take the form of a control unit and a number of projectors, usually controlled by a small handset or by vocal command. Projected images are usually displayed at a reduced size. For most viewers, the projected holography is of a set size, with a relatively limited ability to zoom or shrink images. More expensive viewers have many more features and functions.
A number of large companies produce 3V content. Chief among these are:
- Channel 42
- Data Services LLC
- Medios Martin Inc. (based at Kuyt)
- FarStel Group
- Fringe News Network ("FNN")
- ICS Direct LLC
A number of programmes are popular:
- Live newsfeeds, including
- Channel 42 News
- FNN Direct
- Soap Operas, including
- Good Androids
- As the Stars Turn
- Blockbuster movies
- Farewell, Voyager
- Invasion: Terra
- Last Armada
- The Vilani Conspiracy
- Social shows
- Dark Secrets of the Hidden Void, known for staging vivid and sensationalist reconstructions of spooky incidents, strange encounters and mysterious disappearances that have occurred around the Harmal Strange and Unstable Space regions.
- Fringian Astrographic, showcasing the wildlife, natural wonders, history, varied cultures and native sophonts of the Distant Fringe.
- Space Operas
- Plague Sector, a series set in far-off Pestilent Sector, concerning the struggles of a human Lost Settlement against "the plague".
- Infinitys Shore, a space opera drawing heavily on the Mythology of Lon Beon. The early episodes were broadly criticised for their "Deus ex machina" plotlines, hammy acting and low production values. Later episodes were markedly improved. Infinitys Shore has proven immensely popular: many believe it to be based on fact.
References & Contributors / Sources
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Tom Chlebus
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science